Submit big, or go home

So far this month, I have submitted poems to the following the literary magazines:
  1. Caketrain
  2. Third Coast
  3. Mid-American Review
On a related note, my favorite online resource for discovering and keeping track of new literary magazines (not to mention all of my submissions) for the past few years has been Duotrope. It is honestly the most comprehensive database out there for literary magazines and creative writers and, until January 1, 2013, it was an absolutely FREE tool. At first, I was a bit more than reluctant to purchase a $50 yearly subscription to this amazing service that I had grown used to taking full advantage of at absolutely no cost to me. So I said my haughty goodbyes and searched around for a new lit mag database resource. 


But all the alternatives fell so much shorter than Duotrope. It currently has listings for 4586 fiction, poetry, and nonfiction markets (and counting). And each listing page has comprehensive statistics based on the responses of users like me. I even have access to a set of statistics for my submissions record. As I discovered for myself, it really is an irreplaceable tool. So I crawled back to Duotrope with a new sense of humility and checked my sense of entitlement at the door. It really is the best and is probably the most useful subscription I'll ever buy. 

So thank you, Duotrope! I hope my subscription helps support the wonderful work you do for writers like me. Cheers.

Comments

  1. I was sad too when I realized that duotrope was no longer free. I've only submitted to one publication so far this year, and my goal is only six, so I'm still on the fence about shelling out the cash.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gone Paper-pickin'

"Imago" on Hannibal season finale

On the end of a year & a decade: 2019